Friday, March 8, 2013

Our flooring


Although I do tend to get caught up in all of the amazing products we create, I so adore our flooring.  After all, it is the foundation of our company.

When I first started working with Steve, he handed me a piece of wood.  He was so excited about it, but it looked like something I would have used for kindling.  Then, he told me to turn it over.
I was stunned at the sheer beauty that I saw on the other side!  The piece of wood was 100+ year old heart pine that was salvaged from a cotton mill in South Carolina.  I am pretty sure that was the first batch of heart pine we rescued.

I have this wood in my home, and it is fantastic!  Everyone who enters my home "ooohs" and "ahhhs" when they see my floor.  I love to be able to tell the story about the old wood and all of its character, including the nail and bolt holes.  My friends are amazed when I tell them that the floor used to be massive beams that held up the floors and walls of a cotton mill.  We slice the beams into boards, and then tongue and groove the edges.  Some people view the bolt holes as "defects" and actually cut them off, I see them as character and a good reason to tell a story!  To each his own...

In Progress

Close up unfinished

One coat of Poly

Unfinished amazing patina!
Heart pine isn't the only amazing species we use to make our flooring.  We get a good portion of our wood from old barns.  Back in the day, when a farmer wanted to build, he would use any timers that were "in the way".  In other words, the trees he had to fell to make room for the barn, were used to build it, no matter the species.  That explains why, when we rescue the old barns, we sometimes come across 3 or 4 different species of wood, depending on the age and location of the structure.  Most of the time, we encounter Oak, Hemlock, Chestnut and Pine, but on occasion, we will find other species as well.

Carolina Hickory - A bit of God's Handiwork :)
Other favorites of mine are the Hickory for its highly contrasting patina, and the Ambrosia Maple for its curious history and unusual beetle tracks.  You see, even though most people refer to the species as "Wormy" Maple, the interesting patina was not actually created by worms. It turns out that the Ambrosia Beetle was the real culprit, hence the name.
Ambrosia Maple
I could go on for hours about all of the fantastic flooring we craft for our customers!  There are too many different options mention in one post.  Each of our customers has a unique idea of how they want their project to look.  Here are just a few examples:
Reclaimed Appalachian Pine w/Walnut Pegs

Our Classic Mix Oak Flooring - A Customer Favorite

White Oak Cobblestone - LOVE!

Old Growth Poplar - Tons of Character!
You can see hundreds of photos of our work in varying states of progress right here on my blog.  Just click the link "Project

Portfolio" (above), and if you have a question about anything just fill out the "Ask a Question" form.

No comments:

Post a Comment